NDCC Adult Team Selection Policy
The purpose of the Club is to provide the opportunity to play and enjoy the great game of cricket to as many people as possible, and for them to reach their full potential as cricketers. In competitive League or Knock Out Cup fixtures, the over-riding selection policy principle is to select the best XI from the playing members available.
In midweek friendly fixtures, the policy is to select the most appropriate XI given the expected standard of the opposition, and to give playing opportunities to adult and junior members who are not currently getting the opportunity to play in competitive fixtures.
The selection policy
1. Only paid up adult or junior playing members are eligible for selection.
2. Selection takes place on a Monday evening when the NDCC selection committee meets. The selection committee is made up of the Devon League and North Devon League captains and/or vice captains. Players must make their availability to play known to the selection committee via the Players’ WhatsApp group before the selection meeting.
3. Adult training takes place on a Wednesday evening. It is organised by the captains of the NDCC’s three Devon League teams. All playing members aged 16 or over are welcome and encouraged to attend. The only junior playing members of the club that may attend are those that have specifically been invited by one of the three Devon League Captains. This is for their own safety.
4. The captains announce the teams selected for the weekend’s competitive fixtures after adult training on a Wednesday night on the Players’ WhatsApp group. Teams for midweek friendly fixtures will also be announced on the Players’ WhatsApp group.
5.The safety minimum age limit to play competitive adult cricket imposed by Devon Cricket is the U13 age group (school year 8), although any players playing in the Devon U12 county age group may also be considered. NDCC apply the same safety limits to midweek friendly fixtures as well.
6. The only junior playing members who will be considered for selection to play adult cricket are those that have either taken part in the NDCC academy sessions and been recommended as of a suitable standard or those that have already been invited to attend adult training on a Wednesday evening by one of the Devon League captains. The junior age group coaches liaise with the selection committee to discuss individuals’ progression and members of the selection committee attend junior training and fixtures to identify emerging talent. The selection committee’s decision as to whether a junior playing member is ready to play competitive or friendly adult cricket is final.
This policy applies to all NDCC Adult teams, namely the ECB Devon League teams, the North Devon League XI and Midweek Friendly XI’s.