Club History

fifties

Club History

The North Devon Cricket Club (NDCC) was founded in 1823 and moved to its current ground at Instow in 1836 where, apart from interludes for world wars, cricket has been played every season.

The Ground and Pavilion

The cricket ground is situated through the sandhills car park. The club is based in a thatched building dating from the late 1700’s which is believed to have been an old farmhouse. The ground looks out over the estuary of the Taw and Torrigde rivers with players benefiting (!) from the brisk sea breezes that always seem to blow.

Cricket History

The NDCC has a strong tradition of midweek cricket. In the past such sides as the MCC, Free Foresters, Eton Ramblers, Shrewsbury Saracens, Brasenose Strollers, South Oxford Amateurs, Devon Dumplings and the Frogs have all played here. We have also entertained county side and host a Devon Minor Counties game each year.

We currently play about 70 midweek games against touring sides from all over Britain and around the world.